• 25 // Irish // Female // Business Graduate // Blogger •

Labels

College is Over..Now What?



Its been almost two weeks since I sat my final exam.

I honestly thought that I would wake up the next day, suddenly enlightened to adulthood; prosperity giving me an extra pep in my step. This did not happen; I woke up with a self-inflicted headache brought on by copious amounts of alcohol consumed the night before. And I thought, ok maybe once I’ve nursed this hangover away with the mandatory tea and toast and some Ru Paul’s Drag Race I would finally get the feeling I’ve waited 4 long years for.

I’m still waiting.

The thing about college and the finish line, something I think no one tells you, is that it’s very anti-climactic. For all the moments in college I thought would be imprinted in my brain forever – such as my first day, the day I submitted by FYP and sitting my last exam – they all just kinda fell flat.

I don’t know if I’m alone in this train of thought – I don’t think I am though – but the last couple of weeks of college were tough. I’m not talking about stress levels here, but I felt the closer the end came, the less of a shit I gave. I think my brain had gone fully into summer mode and I couldn’t find a way to rewire my brain back to reality.

And now that it’s all over I feel this HUGE looming question that rests on everyone’s lips; what now?

When I tell people I’m taking some time out to save for a Masters, there are usually two opinions; 1.) Why wait that long? You’ll get out of the swing of studying or 2.) You’ve just done four years! Why torture yourself more?
Any sign of a Masters up there nah?

Aside from the fact that Masters cost SO MUCH MONEY, I feel like I need to step out of the routine of the educational system and live my life for a couple of years before what I imagine will be Masters > Internship > Job > Career. I’m not ready to take the big leap into adulthood and as I am a huge believer in following your gut, taking time out of college is what I need to do right now.

So, if you are in the same boat as me, and you’re as clueless and unsure about your future, then allow yourself to be. Everything in life has a funny way of working out and as long as you move forward with a positive outlook and you gather as many experiences along the way, the universe will sort you out. That’s what I’m placing my bets on anyway!

PS - A special shoutout to Paudie Bourke who took all the photo's featured. Find him on Facebook and Instagram and view all the amazing photographs he has taken!

Until next time...

Aimee

1 comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig